Travel By Sea was launched in 2014 by me, Reese Lee, and is based in Portland, Oregon. My story begins, however, on the other side of the world--in a little developing country called Malaysia. My life was split between America and Malaysia over the course of my young childhood; eventually, I ended up in Oregon, and have been here for 13 years! (That makes me more than a transplant, right?)
In between those years, I was very fortunate to have traveled to many places (thanks, Dad & Mom!), including: Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Canada, and Czech Republic. Those were magical times, my friends. Anyhow, I was working in retail when I began creating and selling my chubby animal illustrations (Tea Party Animals), but was doing so on a very part-time basis. By the end of 2013, I had decided I wanted to explore another creative outlet, one in which I could relate my various travel and culture experiences into something easily translatable. What better (and fun) way, I thought, than jewelry?
My plan had been to slowly work my way toward being able to quit my job and do both my jewelry and art full-time, but circumstances prevailed--I was laid off in early 2014. I figured it was a sign, jumped into my jewelry and art businesses, and have never looked back! I enjoy using different materials and processes to bring my jewelry to life. In fact, each of my collections is inspired by one place, a region, or an overall travel-related theme. This is why each collection has its own aesthetic. (My fiance, Damien Dawson, now helps with production, and even designs some of our jewelry!)
I hope that you not only love your Travel By Sea jewelry, but that you are inspired by the stories behind them--enough so that you finally book that trip or register for that language class you've been thinking about for ages.
- Every item is made to order. You can expect your item to ship within 3-5 business days.
- All orders are shipped via USPS First Class post or First Class International Post (Priority available as well).
- Once in the mail, domestic orders will take an additional 2-5 business days to arrive; international orders will take anywhere between 1-4 weeks to arrive, depending upon customs.
- All jewelry will be shipped ready for gift-giving.
- As each piece is handmade, please handle with care—do not bathe, swim, or soak with your Travel By Sea jewelry on. (And no engaging in bar fights, either.)
- A lot of the metal we use is raw brass, which means that your jewelry will acquire a patina over time. This adds to the look of the piece, but should you decide you prefer it shiny, we provide a cleaning pad (see below).
- Do NOT use ketchup or any other liquid-y substance to clean your Travel By Sea jewelry. It is a safe alternative, but some of our pieces prefer a non-liquid-y cleaner.
- We provide a little ProPolish pad that you can use to clean your Travel By Sea jewelry when it tarnishes. Just gently rub the piece with this pad, and watch it shine before your eyes!
- This pad lasts a long time, but when both sides turn black, just let us know and we will ship you a new one free of charge—we want you to enjoy your Travel By Sea jewelry for years to come!